addiction rehab

When it comes to selecting a rehab for drug or alcohol addiction, many people tend to choose a 12-Step program without doing any research. In many cases, their choice is based on costs and familiarity. Unfortunately, far too many of these individuals end up right back where they were before entering the program, still abusing the substance and ruining their lives. To better understand the reasons for this unfortunate outcome, we will compare the differences between 12-Step and Non-12 Step addiction rehabs. Our goal is to help you make an informed choice in an addiction treatment program for yourself or your loved one.

It is important to note that making the right choice in a rehab program can make all the difference in your overall success in enjoying a substance-free lifestyle for the long-term. With this in mind, read the comparison below and do some research before making a decision.

Empower Yourself by Knowing the Facts

When you begin researching the options in treatment programs, you might feel overwhelmed by the vast amount of information available. But, don’t let this cause you to settle for doing what you think everyone else is doing. Don’t settle for taking the easy way out of making this decision. Remember, regardless of how many thousands of people use the 12-Step programs, there are also many thousands who are using other treatment methods, as well.

You deserve the best treatment possible for your specific needs. Let the facts below help you find the program that will help you turn your life around.

Advantages and Disadvantage of 12-Step Rehabs

As the most common addiction treatment model, a 12-Step program is an easy choice. Also, according to an American Addiction Centers report, 74% of the treatment programs in the US are based on the 12-Step method. Availability is a big factor that influences a person’s choice. Below are some of the pros and cons you should know before making 12-Steps your choice:

Pros and Cons of 12-Step Rehabs:

Pros:

  • Convenience
  • Affordability
  • Covered by insurance
  • Aftercare options
  • Culturally accepted

Cons:

  • Volunteer vs. professional counselors
  • Minimal individualized therapy
  • No provision for dual-diagnosis care
  • Low success rates

Pros and Cons of Non-12 Step Rehabs:

Pros:

  • Opportunities for individualized counseling
  • Support for dual-diagnosis patients
  • Flexible plans that adapt to changing needs
  • Therapy that addresses underlying issues
  • High success rates
  • Diverse approaches (faith-based, holistic, etc.)
  • Teaches the importance of personal responsibility
  • Aftercare services are included with some programs

Cons:

  • Fewer facilities than 12-Step programs
  • Inconveniences due to fewer locations
  • Higher costs due to professional resources
  • Limited insurance coverage

Given the above pros and cons, it is apparent that the advantages of a Non-12 Step program are substantial. The importance of dual-diagnosis care is uncontested when it comes to treating each aspect of addiction. Many addicts struggle with issues related to mental or emotional damages that feed their addiction or are a result of the addiction. In either case, unless this aspect of the addiction is addressed, lasting recovery is unlikely.

A non-traditional rehab program acknowledges addiction as a real problem that has real solutions. An inpatient, Non-12 Step program helps recovering addicts gain the skills and confidence needed to survive in the outside world. Testimonials from previous patients describe how the skills they learned in their program help them navigate daily trials without resorting to drugs or alcohol as a source of courage or as a means of escape.

How to Know Which Program to Choose

If you are ready to make a decision and get into treatment right away, please review the above information. Also, consider this: a 12-Step program only works for 5-10% of the people they serve. That leaves approximately 90% that are not helped or maybe even harmed by choosing this treatment approach. For more information about Non-12 Step rehab, call our toll-free number today.

Don’t delay another second
when help is so close.

Call 877-704-7285 Now!

Comments

No comments yet! Start the conversation.

Leave a Comment!